• Shenandoah Roath

Can I get a DUI if I ride a horse drunk?


In Montana, it is illegal to operate or be in actual physical control of a motor vehicle on public roads if your BAC is over 0.08, or you are intoxicated due to alcohol or drugs. A motor vehicle includes any vehicle propelled by its own power and designed or used to transport persons or property on the highways of the state. This includes a four wheeler if it is equipped for use on the highway, a golf cart only if it is specially equipped for highway use or used by a person with a low-speed restricted driver’s license.

The term does not include a bicycle or moped, an electric wheelchair or scooter, or any other low-powered, mechanically propelled vehicle that is designed specifically for use by a physically disabled person and is used as a means of mobility for that person.

The law defining “motor vehicle” does not specifically exclude horses, but it is limited to ONLY vehicles powered by a motor.

If you or your friends drove instead of rode and get into trouble, contact Roath Law to help get you the best possible outcome!